Military Kids: Heroes of the Future
By 341st Missile Wing Public Affairs
/ Published April 09, 2019
MALMSTROM AIR FORCE BASE, Mont. --
Every April, military children have reason to celebrate – it’s the Month of the Military Child.
In 1968, Defense Secretary Casper Weinberger designated April as Month of the Military Child to honor military children for their sacrifice and courage. Since then, more than 2 million children have had a parent deploy at least once.
The absence of a parent can be challenging and this month recognizes military children’s heroism, character, courage, sacrifices, and continued resilience. The strength of our nation comes from the strength of our military members and their families.
“Purple Up! For Military Kids” day is April 18, 2019. Purple symbolizes all branches of military, as it is the combination of Army green, Coast Guard blue, Marine red, Navy blue, and Air Force blue. Everyone is encouraged to wear purple as a way to show support for military families.
Malmstrom’s Child and Youth Services Flight is offering numerous activities to celebrate the Month of the Military Child. The festivities kicked off with SESAME STREET LIVE “C is for Celebration” performances at the Base Auditorium. The Art Show on April 5th showcased the amazing art of Malmstrom’s talented youth. Other activities include:
CHILD FIND DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENING: April 11th from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Youth Center. For children 5 years of age or younger and offered by Great Falls Public Schools, Special Education Staff and Benchmark (Part C). Track how your child is learning, playing, talking and interacting. Contact Patty Higgins, GFPS at 406-268-6400 or Marjorie Hahn, School Liaison Officer at 406-731-2297 for more information.
- PURPLE SNACKS & REFRESHMENTS: April 11th from 3:00 to 5:00 at the Child Development Center.
- PURPLE UP SPRING CARNIVAL: April 12th from 6:00 to 8:00 at the Youth Center. Games, crafts, prizes and more. Admission is FREE.
- FAMILY ARCHERY HAM SHOOT: April 17th at the Youth Center. Parent and child teams have a chance to win a ham.
- PURPLE UP! April 18th is the day for everyone to wear PURPLE to show your support of military children and youth.
- OPERATION MEGAPHONE TEEN LOCK-IN: April 19th-20th at the Youth Center for ages 12 and older.
- THE EMPEROR’S NEW CLOTHES: April 22nd-26th the Missoula Children’s Theater will perform. Auditions on April 22nd at the Youth Center and show on April 26th at 6:00 at Base Auditorium.
- BINGO! Win great prizes at family bingo April 27th starting at 1:00 at the Youth Center
Call Youth Programs at 731-4634 for more information.
It doesn’t take a lot to put a smile on your child’ face – take time during April to spend with your son or daughter and be sure to let them know how much you appreciate and love them. Don’t forget to “PURPLE UP” on April 18.