The Malmstrom Victims' Counsel assists eligible victims through most criminal and civil legal matters relating to a reported sexual assault, whether restricted or unrestricted; VCs are NOT mandatory reporters. VCs ensure that victim's rights, as defined by Congress, are maintained throughout the court-martial process as well as protecting victims' privacy rights throughout the investigation and court-marital process. VCs can attend all interviews with the victim (in person or by telephone). More information is available here.
What VCs do for victims of sexual assault:
- Advocate your voice and choice
- Provide CONFIDENTIAL legal advice
- Protect your rights and privacy interests
- Provides legal assistance
- Advises you on the investigation and prosecution process
-Attends interviews, hearings, and Courts-Martial with you
Who does the VC work for?
- VCs DO NOT work for anyone on base except you
- VCs have an independent chain of command in Washington, DC
Contact your VC, SARC, FAP, or Legal Office to request an VC
- Restricted Reports: Go to the SARC, FAP, Chaplain, or Health Care Provider to ensure the report remains restricted.