Finance in-processing and BAH recertification

  • Published
  • By 2nd Lt. Amy Bragg
  • 341st Comptroller Squadron
As Airmen and their families begin to change duty stations, it is important to in-process at the Finance Office within five days of arriving at your new base. Why is this important?

· You get your money faster

· Your Basic Allowance for Housing rate gets updated before a potential debt is created

· Your Government Travel Card is paid off before it is late - late GTC payments are brought to your leadership's attention, and this is not a good way to start your new assignment

You will need the following items when in-processing at finance:

· A copy of your orders

· Amendments to orders (if applicable)

· Flight itineraries (if applicable)

· Receipts for $75 and over

· Marriage certificate, divorce decree or birth certificates for children as applicable (if you did not complete BAH recertification at your last base)

Speaking of BAH recertification, here are some common questions the Finance Office gets asked:

Why do I have to do this?
In an effort to stave off an audit finding, the Air Force has been mandated to conduct a one-time, Air Force-wide BAH recertification, to include review of supporting documents for all members currently receiving or entitled to with-dependent-rate BAH.

I just turned in the requested paperwork a few months ago, do I have to bring it in again?
Yes, beginning in March 2014, every member of the Air Force including active duty, Guard and Reserve receiving BAH as a member with dependents, is required to provide the document that is the basis for the with dependent entitlement (marriage license, divorce decree, birth certificate, etc.) along with a wet-signed AF Form 594, to the finance office for review.

What will happen if I do not bring in the requested paperwork?
The with-dependent-rate BAH entitlement you were receiving will be changed to the single rate effective the 31st day after receiving the email notification.

Do I need to bring in this paperwork even if I am not making any changes?
All military members receiving with-dependent-rate BAH (to include BAH Diff - child support) must bring in the required paperwork even if they are not making changes.