Spouse education career opportunities
By Carmen Kubiak, Malmstrom Airman and Family Readiness Center
/ Published June 18, 2018
MALMSTROM AIR FORCE BASE, Mont. -- What is the Spouse Education Career Opportunities Program, or SECO? The Department of Defense established the SECO Program to provide education and career guidance to military spouses worldwide, offering comprehensive resources and tools related to career exploration, education, training and licensing, employment readiness and career connections all free to military spouses.
The DoD established the comprehensive, holistic, spouse-centered program to help military spouses reach their education and career goals as they balance work-life priorities and interests. Program resources include the following:
Military OneSource Spouse Career Center: Certified career counselors provide free, comprehensive counseling services to all eligible military spouses. Career coaches offer specialty consultations six days a week and can help with the following:
• Career Exploration – explore career interests and skills.
• Education, Training and Licensing – learn about education options and licensure or credential requirements.
• Employment Readiness – prepare to join or re-enter the workforce and sharpen skills throughout your career.
• Career Connections – find network and career opportunities
Military Spouse Employment Partnership: An employment and career partnership connecting military spouses with hundreds of partner employers who have committed to recruit, hire, promote and retain military spouses in portable careers. The partnership has three components:
• MSEP Job Search on MySECO allows military spouses to search for and apply to career opportunities with MSEP companies and organizations. Spouses can search for positions using job titles, keywords and location, or refine the search by selecting industry, partner or job type.
• Spouse Ambassador Network includes MSEP partners who work to create awareness about military spouse employment challenges and to increase military spouse career opportunities and advancement.
• MSEP Partner Portal provides information for companies interested in becoming partners and offers resources for existing partners.
My Career Advancement Account Scholarship program: Provides up to $4,000 in tuition assistance to eligible military spouses who have successfully completed high school to pursue a license, certification or associate degree in a portable career field and occupation.
Lastly, the MySECO website gives eligible military spouses 24/7 access to online education and career information, resources, tools and assessments. This website is a one-stop source where spouses can research occupations, search for schools and scholarships, find education and career information, search for employment and develop their individual career plan, or MyICP, to set goals and chart progress in building a meaningful career path.
The SECO program has several social media platforms spouse can use to connect with them:
LinkedIn Spouse Group: http://linkedin.com/groups/Military-Spouse- Employment-Partnership-MSEP-4159976
LinkedIn Partner Group: http://linkedin.com/groups/Military-Spouse- Employment-Partnership-MSEP-4445979
For more information, access the SECO website at https://myseco.militaryonesource.mil/Portal/ or visit your local Airman and Family Readiness Center.