Malmstrom Air Force Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > Tax Assistance Program starts at Malmstrom
Tax Assistance Program starts at Malmstrom

Posted 1/11/2013   Updated 1/11/2013 Email story   Print story


by Capt. Trenton M. White
341st Missile Wing Judge Advocate

1/11/2013 - MALMSTROM AIR FORCE BASE, Mont. -- Will Rogers once said, "Income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf." However, filing honest, accurate income tax is an important duty of all Americans. While the process can be intimidating and confusing, free help will be available for all active-duty members, Guardsmen, Reservists, retirees and their dependents at the tax center operated by the Malmstrom Tax Assistance Program.

The tax center will operate in the Grizzly Bend, be staffed by IRS-trained volunteers from every wing group, and be open on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from Feb. 4 to April 15. Tax returns will be prepared on a walk-in basis for individuals eligible to file 1040EZ and 1040A returns during these dates. These returns use the standard deduction, have incomes below $100,000, and not involve the sale of property.

After Feb. 15, all tax returns will be prepared on an appointment basis. Appointments may be made by calling 731-2878 after Feb. 4, or by visiting Due to the complexity of itemized deductions, taxpayers seeking to itemize their deductions should make an appointment.

This year, the 341st Medical Group will use an "in-house" tax preparer, Geoff Fallon. Fallon has extensive experience in this area and is an asset to the TAP. Medical Group members should contact Fallon at 731-2976 to arrange their tax returns.

The Malmstrom TAP is ran through the IRS's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program and according to their regulations. Therefore, volunteers may not prepare returns that exceed the scope of the program or their competency - for example, those involving farm incomes, depreciation, inventory for home businesses or the alternative minimum tax. However, the TAP can assist most Airmen.

Volunteers will prepare accurate tax returns with integrity but need your help. Before coming to have a return prepared, Airmen (and their spouse if they are married) should have the following documents:

Social Security cards for member and all dependents (copies are not accepted)
Proof of identity (military or dependent ID)
Copies of all W-2s and Forms 1098 and 1099
Interest and dividend statements (Forms 1099 INT and 1099 DIV)
Estimated tax payments made
Amounts of other income
Either the prior tax year electronic filing pin or prior tax year AGI. (If Airmen do not know either of these, they can obtain it over the phone from the IRS by calling 1-800-829-1040.)

Other required documents may include:
  • Bank account routing number and account number for fast direct deposit of refunds (members may use a voided check or savings deposit slip)
  • A copy of last year's federal and state return, if possible
  • Power of attorney
  • Documentation supporting a claim to a dependency exemption
  • Divorce decree or Form 8332 (Release of Claim to Exemption for Children of Divorced or Separated Parents)
  • Documents showing real estate or property taxes paid
  • Child care provider's name, address and identification number (EIN or SSN)


Tax Center Hours
Monday 8 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m.

Wednesday 8 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m.

Friday 8 to 11:30 a.m.

No comments yet.  
Add a comment

 Inside Malmstrom AFB

ima cornerSearch

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act