Colonel Anita A. Feugate Opperman is Commander, 341st Missile Wing, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana. The wing’s 4,000 personnel defend the United States with combat-ready Airmen and nuclear forces. They are responsible for base support, maintenance, security and operation of Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles, missile alert facilities and launch facilities located throughout a 13,800 square-mile complex in central Montana.
Colonel Feugate Opperman was commissioned in 1994 as a graduate of the Reserve Officers Training Corps program at Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind. After completing training at Vandenberg AFB, Calif., she was assigned to the 319th Missile Squadron at F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo. She served as a Missile Initial Qualification Training instructor and evaluator at Vandenberg AFB, followed by Assistant Operations Officer with the National Polar-orbiting Operational Environmental Satellite System Integrated Program Office in Silver Spring, Md. Later, she developed Space and Missile operations career field policy at both the MAJCOM and Air Staff-level. She was the executive officer to the Assistant Vice Chief of Staff and then served as Chief, Congressional Relations both at the Pentagon. She was the 90th Missile Wing chief of safety and the commander, 320th Missile Squadron both at F.E. Warren AFB. She served as director of the Air Force Global Strike Command Commander's Action Group, Barksdale AFB, La. In addition, she was Commander, 341st Operations Group, Malmstrom Air Force Base and Chief, Capabilities Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration at the Pentagon. Prior to her current assignment, she was deployed to the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.
1994 Bachelor's degree in political science, Indiana University, Ind.
1998 Master's degree in management science, Lesley College, Mass.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell, Ala.
2014 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1994 – May 1995, student, Undergraduate Space and Missile Training and Minuteman III Initial Qualification Training, 392d Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2. May 1995 – March 1999, Missile Combat Crew and Instructor, 319th Missile Squadron, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
3. April 1999 – September 2002, Missile Combat Crew Instructor and Chief, Standardization/Evaluation, 392d Training Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
4. September 2002 – June 2005, Assistant Director of Operations, National Polar-orbiting Operational Environmental Satellite System Integrated Program Office, Silver Spring, Md.
5. June 2005 – June 2006, Command Lead, Space Professional Management Program, Directorate of Personnel, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
6. July 2006 – June 2007, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
7. July 2007 – June 2008, Chief, Force Development Section, Directorate of Operations, Plans and Requirements, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. June 2008 – August 2009, Executive Officer, Assistant Vice Chief of Staff, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. August 2009 – June 2010, Chief, Congressional Relations, Air Force Legislative Liaison, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. June 2010 – June 2011, Chief of Safety, 90th Missile Wing, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
11. June 2011 – July 2013, Commander, 320th Missile Squadron, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
12. July 2013 – June 2014, Student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
13. June 2014 – June 2016, Director, Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
14. June 2016 – July 2018, Commander, 341st Operations Group, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
15. July 2018 – July 2019, Chief, Capabilities Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
16. July 2019 – July 2020, Director, Security Sector Reform Group, Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq, U.S. Embassy-Baghdad, Iraq
17. August 2020 – Present, Commander, 341st Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Unit Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with “N” device and one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, 23 July 1994
First Lieutenant, 23 July 1996
Captain, 23 July 1998
Major, 1 January 2005
Lieutenant Colonel, 1 December 2009
Colonel, 1 February 2016
(Current as of August 2020)