Colonel David S. Miller is Commander, 341st Maintenance Group, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Montana. As commander, he is responsible for the maintenance support of Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles, 150 launch facilites and 15 missile alert facilities located throughout a 13,800 square-mile complex in central Montana.
Previously, he served as Director of Logistics and Communications, 20th Air Force, Frances E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming. He was the senior advisor to the 20th Air Force commander for all logistics, maintenance and communications matters. He is a graduated squadron commander with extensive experience in Minuteman III and Peacekeeper weapons systems, as well as nuclear and conventional weapons.
Colonel Miller was commissioned through the Reserve Officers' Training Corps program at the University of Nebraska, and holds masters’ degrees from George Washington University, the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies and the Air War College.
1998 Bachelor of Arts degree in psychology, University of Nebraska, Neb.
1999 Missile Maintenance Officer Course, Vandenberg AFB, Calif
2000 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 United States Marine Corps Warfighting Skills Program, by correspondence
2006 Master of Arts, Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2008 Air Force Intern Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
2011 Master of Philosophy, Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Joint/Combined Warfighting School, Naval Air Station, Norfolk, Va.
2016 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. July 1998 - May 1999, Executive Officer, 10th Air Support Operations Squadron, Fort Riley, Kan.
2. May 1999 - August 1999, Training Student, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. August 1999 – March 2002, Officer in Charge, Peacekeeper Support and Minuteman Munitions Sections; Commander, Facilities Flight, 90th Maintenance Squadron, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
4. March 2002 - May 2004, Chief of Missile Maintenance Operations Center and Commander, Resources Flight, 341st Maintenance Operations Squadron; Commander, Generation Flight, 341st Missile Maintenance Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
5. May 2004 - May 2006, Air Force Intern (Military Assistant to the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy; Action Officer, A4/7 Engine Room), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
6. May 2006 - August 2007, Operations Officer, 18th Munitions Squadron; Director of Staff, 18th Maintenance Group, Kadena Air Base, Japan
7. August 2007 - March 2008, Executive Officer, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Balad Air Base, Iraq
8. March 2008 - December 2008, Operations Officer, 18th Munitions Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
9. December 2008 - June 2011, Commander, 18th Munitions Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
10. June 2011 - July 2012, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. August 2012 - July 2015, Deputy Branch Chief and Strategist, Theater War Planning Office, U.S. Pacific Command J54; Deputy Executive Assistant to the Commander and Senior Executive Assistant to the Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii
12. July 2015 - May 2016, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
13. May 2016 - June 2017, Director of Logistics & Communications, 20th Air Force, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
14. July 2017 – Present, Commander, 341st Maintenance Group, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 2012 - March 2013, Deputy Branch Chief and Strategist, Theater War Planning Office, U.S. Pacific Command J54, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a major and lieutenant colonel
2. March 2013 - February 2014, Deputy Executive Assistant to the Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a lieutenant colonel
3. February 2014 - July 2015, Senior Executive Assistant to the Commander, U.S. Pacific Command, Camp H.M. Smith, Hawaii, as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal with device
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with “N” device
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
2002 AFSPC Inspector General NSI/ORI “Professional Performer”
2002 AFSPC ICBM Maintenance Officer of the Year
2004 AFSPC General Lew Allen, Jr. Trophy Recipient
2008 PACAF Inspector General ORI “Professional Performer”
2010 PACAF Lt. Gen. Leo Marquez Award Recipient
2010 USAF Maintenance Effectiveness Award, Missile and Munitions Squadron Category
2012 Joint Forces Staff College Douglas MacArthur Foundation Award
2016 Air War College Lt. Gen. Novak Award for Contribution to the Logistics Community
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 6, 1998
First Lieutenant June 6, 2000
Captain June 6, 2002
Major Feb. 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2012
Colonel May 1, 2017
(Current as of August 2017)