by 341st Missile Wing Safety Office
6/18/2012 - MALMSTROM AIR FORCE BASE, Mont. -- All-Terrain Vehicles are a pastime many people enjoy. However, they also present their own risks. The ATV Safety Institute promotes the following rules when operating an ATV:
· Always wear a Department of Transportation-compliant helmet, goggles, long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle boots and gloves.
· Never ride on paved roads except to cross when done safely and permitted by law. ATVs are designed to be operated off highways.
· Never operate under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
· Never carry a passenger on a single-rider ATV and no more than one passenger on an ATV specifically designed for two people.
· Operators should ride an ATV that is right for their age.
· Supervise riders younger than 16; ATVs are not toys.
· Ride only on designated trails and at a safe speed.
· Take a hands-on ATV course before operating an ATV.
For more information, visit the following websites: